I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Tuesday, April 1, 2008

TWD: Gooey Chocolate Cakes





Another week gone by, another Tuesday arrives. This week's Dorie recipe was Gooey Chocolate Cakes. I'm not big on chocolate, but it looked easy enough and hubby's eyes lit up when I said I'd make some for him with butterscotch chips in the middle. I have 7 ounce ramekins, and filled 3 with this recipe. 13 minutes didn't seem like enough, so I went 2 minutes longer. I know this narration is really boring, but (finally) nothing seemed to go wrong! (Unless you count dropping my top-heavy whisk and getting chocolate all over myself - fun times!)

GAH!! I spoke too soon. I just unmolded my lovely chocolate cakes. If you want runny molten lava -you came to the right place! I'm thinking my walls are a little TOO thin... however, nothing a lil' ice cream (really, check this stuff out!) can't fix! This seriously tastes like an ice cream sundae - heavy on the hot fudge sauce.





Gooey Chocolate Cakes
Baking: From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan
Chosen by Leigh of Lemon Tartlet
See more TWD bakers here!

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, (4 ounces coarsely chopped, 1 ounce very finely chopped)
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
6 tablespoons of sugar

Getting ready:
Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. butter (or spray – it’s easier) 6 cups of a regular-size muffin pan, preferably a disposable aluminum foil pan, dust the insides with flour and tap out the excess. Put the muffin pan on a baking sheet.

Sift the flour, cocoa and salt together.

Set a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water, put the coarsely chopped chocolate and the butter in the bowl and stir occasionally over the simmering water just until they are melted – you don’t want them to get so hot that the butter separates. Remove the bowl from the pan of water.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and yolk until homogenous. Add the sugar and whisk until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add the dry ingredients and, still using the whisk, stir (don’t beat) them into the eggs. Little by little, and using a light hand, stir in the melted chocolate and butter. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups and sprinkle the finely chopped chocolate over the batter.

Bake the cakes for 13 minutes. Transfer them, still on the baking sheet, to a rack to cool for 3 minutes. (There is no way to test that these cakes are properly baked, because the inside remains liquid.)

Line a cutting board with a silicone baking mat or parchment or wax paper, and, after the 3-minute rest, unmold the cakes onto the board. Use a wide metal spatula to lift the cakes onto dessert plates.

14 comments:

noskos said...

Looking yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

Crap! I shoulda used all those butterscotch chips left over from Christmas! Such a good idea.

Anonymous said...

I love your diagram :) Awesome job on the cakes!

Gretchen Noelle said...

These are great! Love the diagram too! Lots of goo looks great! Butterscotch - yum!

Mari said...

Love your photographic diagram...LOL!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, lovely, gooey cakes!
mmmmm....

CB said...

Anatomy of a gooey cake! omg that is fuggen hilarious. Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Anonymous said...

They look really good. I wish mine had been that runny!

Marie Rayner said...

I think your cakes look fabulous! Mine were more fudgy than gooey, but they did taste delicious, especially with a drizzle of muscovado toffee sauce and some clotted cream!!

Anonymous said...

This looks great! I love your diagram!

Annemarie said...

Really, I think undercooking these was the way to go...looks yummy!!

April said...

Your cakes look great! I can imagine how the butterscotch chips tasted!!

Natalie said...

Oh yeah, molten ooey gooeyness!

Rachel said...

And we have goo! Congrats! They look amazing!