I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Sunday, March 16, 2008

Old Time Vanilla Ice Cream

This is, hands down, the best vanilla ice cream I've ever had! After making the apple pie-cake last week, I was craving some vanilla ice cream. I haven't bought any from the store since breaking out my ice cream maker (gift from the wedding), so I started searching for a low-fat vanilla ice cream. I stumbled upon this during the search, and thought it is by no means low-fat, I decided it was worth a shot. It is definitely a keeper and I can't wait to try some other recipes from this site! **Updated 06/29/08** I have played around with this a bit, to find the right volumes and lower the fat content a bit. This is perfect for a 1.5 quart ice cream maker. Here is the revised version... still great as ever!

Old Time Vanilla Ice Cream
Source: Doc Wilson's Ice Cream

~3 Tablespoons egg beaters
~1/2 can of fat free sweetened condensed milk
~3 Tablespoons white sugar
~3 Tablespoons brown sugar, not packed
~4 ounces heavy whipping cream
~12 ounces fat free half and half
~8 ounces skim milk
~1/8 tsp salt
~1.5 Tablespoons of vanilla extract

~In a large mixing bowl whisk together egg beaters and sweetened condensed milk until thoroughly mixed.
~Then add sugars and mix.
~Add heavy whipping cream, half and half, skim milk, salt and vanilla extract.
~For the very best results (who wants anything less?), let the mix chill in the refrigerator for about four hours which allows the mix to "age" before freezing according to the directions with your ice cream freezer.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Thanks so much for sharing this! The texture looks great and I look forward to trying this out very soon :)