I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Sunday, March 16, 2008

Spinach Soup



In the never ending search for new meal options on Fridays during Lent, I was happy to be rummaging through my pantry and stumble upon a box of pearl pasta. This box happened to have a healthy, delicious sounding recipe for spinach soup on the side... so I gave it a shot. I changed it up a tad, and certainly added some more seasoning as I initially found it to be quite bland. My husband loved it, too, so I just made a big batch and will be freezing it for an easy to grab lunch.


Spinach Soup
Adapted from a box of Ronzoni Acini Pepe pasta

1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 Tbsp butter
70 ounces vegetable broth (5- 14oz cans)
3 plum tomatoes, diced
3/4 cup acini pepe pasta
1/4 tsp nutmeg
5 ounces fresh spinach
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
salt and pepper, to taste
grated parmesan cheese for topping (optional)

~Heat butter in stockpot, add onion and garlic and cook until tender, not brown.
~Add broth, tomatoes bring to a boil.
~Add acini pepe and nutmeg, simmer 5 minutes.
~Add spinach and remaining spices, simmer 5 minutes more, until spinach is wilted down.
~Sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan cheese before serving, if desired.

After pouring a bowl for myself, I got 6 servings of nearly 2 cups into containers for the freezer, so I'd say this makes about 7 servings.


No comments: