I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Monday, April 7, 2008

Fresh Orange Cream Tart Turned... Orange Cream Cupcakes!



So this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was a Fresh Orange Cream tart. My mini tarts didn't turn out so well, and I needed SOME way to unload this butter laden orange cream. I decided to go for some cupcakes filled with the orange cream, topped with a simple vanilla glaze.

I stumbled upon this recipe for Blood Orange Banana Cake and thought it would be perfect (besides, I have 6 bananas in my freezer and 2 more that were ready to go in, which made it eve more useful for me). Much to my own surprise... these turned out pretty good! The orange in the cake is pretty well hidden behind the banana flavor, so it really got a boost from the orange cream. The light vanilla glaze was the perfect accompaniment!

Blood Orange Banana Cake
1 cup blood orange sections (2 large, peeled)
2 medium bananas
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, very soft
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 2/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350F and butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan. In a food processor, combine blood orange sections, bananas, sugar and butter and whizz until fairly smooth. Add in egg and vanilla and pulse to combine.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Pour in orange mixture and stir just until no lumps remain. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a tester comes out dry and the cake springs back when lightly pressed. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge and invert the cake onto a platter. Reinvert the cake onto a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting. Serves 8-10

I increased the recipe by 1.5, thinking that the original recipe would make 12 cupcakes and I wanted 18. I ended up with 26 cupcakes. :-) Oops! I used the cone method to then fill the cupcakes with orange cream.

Simple Vanilla Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp butter
dash of vanilla
skim milk to desired consistency
~Beat together butter, sugar, and vanilla. Slowly add skim milk until you reach your desired consistency.
This was enough for a health glaze on 18 cupcakes.

Yes I am pretty horrible at implementing the cone method. I'll get better. I promise!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

That looks delicious!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Great idea to use up the leftover cream!!!