I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Monday, April 7, 2008

Linda's Sauce

I have recently began trading weekend culinary adventures with some friends, and when my best friend forwarded her mother's recipe for marinara sauce, I knew I HAD to make it. IMMEDIATELY. I've made homemade sauces before, but those recipes don't hold a candle to this one. It is now and forever my "go-to" marinara sauce.

Linda's Sauce
olive oil
1/2 onion
1 clove of garlic cut in pieces (I grated 3 mega cloves* on my microplane.)
15-20 mini carrots
1-2 celery stalks
1 large (28 oz) can peeled puree tomatoes (Recommended: Pastene Kitchen Ready)
1 small (8 oz) can of tomato sauce (Recommended: Hunts)
2 chicken bullion cubes
2 tsp sugar
little less then 1 tbs each of: parsley, oregano, basil
1 small can of water (use the tomato sauce can), or add more if you want to make it thinner.

~Cover bottom of pot with olive oil. Separate onions pieces and garlic and brown in oil over med heat. Do not burn.
For reasons still unknown to me, I apparently thought you needed to see pictures of this



~Chop carrots and celery very fine (or use food processor). Add to hot oil and brown.
~Once softened, add in peeled puree tomato's, stir, then add tomato sauce, stir, followed by water, stir.
~Add in bullion cubes, stir, sugar, stir, and spices (individually) and stir.
~Simmer on medium for at least one hour.

Double recipe for 4 or more people.









*After my husband tried it, he asked if I put any garlic in, which is a clear sign that I did not use nearly enough. I'll try my hand at roasting garlic and try adding that for more flavor.

No comments: