Certainly there is nothing terribly wrong with a tablespoon or two of butter throughout the dish, but I had recently been reminded of Cara's version using cottage cheese. I decided to give Cara's recipe a try and I'm so glad we did! I didn't miss the butter and the sauce really stuck to the pasta, vegetables, and sausage. I made a few small changes, using kale for the spinach and turkey sausage for the chicken (at least, I think it was turkey sausage... I must remember to label my freezer bags!). This version isn't quite as pumpkin-y as the old one, so next time I might increase the amount of pumpkin and slightly decrease the milk/cottage cheese. Either way, it's a wonderfully delicious fall meal!
Creamy Pumpkin Penne
Source: Cara's Cravings
- 4 oz penne pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (about 75 g)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 links cooked chicken sausage, sliced
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese (1% milk fat)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- pinch of nutmeg
- 5oz torn spinach, thick stems removed
- grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese, optional
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
3. In a blender, combine combine pumpkin, cottage cheese, and milk. Blend until no lumps are present. Add to sausage mixture in skillet and continue to cook over low heat. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg.
4. Drain pasta and return to pot over low heat. Add sausage mixture and baby spinach, and toss together until the spinach is wilted. Serve with parmesan cheese, if desired.