Cannellini Beans with Tomatoes, Bulgur and Spinach
Slightly adapted from Mark Bittman
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, sliced lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 3 cups cooked cannellini or other white beans
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, including juice; canned are fine (see note)
- 1/2 cup coarse bulgur
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups spinach or other tender green
1. Put oil in large pot over medium heat; when oil is hot, add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 5 minutes. Add beans with their liquid, tomatoes, bulgur, chili and rosemary and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, over medium-low heat, until tomatoes have broken up and flavors begin to blend, about 12 minutes, adding water to make it as soupy as you like.
2. Add arugula and continue to cook, just until it wilts. Taste and adjust the seasoning, and serve.