I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Italian Chicken and Spinach Patties

IMG_0003c

I am completely in love with this dish! The flavors are amazing, the sauce is fantastic... I wanted to lick my plate! We will definitely be making this many times in the future. Big thanks to Michele at My Italian Grandmother for the recipe!

Italian Chicken and Spinach Patties
Source: My Italian Grandmother
Yields: 6 patties

  • 1 pound ground chicken
  • 1 10 oz. package frozen spinach, squeezed and drained
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • approx 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • salt and pepper
  • Italian seasoning
  • garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup of chicken stock
  • wondra flour
  • shredded mozzarella (swiss or fontina would be good too), optional.

Directions:

1. Saute onion and 3 cloves minced garlic in olive oil and set aside to cool. In a large bowl combine ground chicken, drained spinach, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, egg and breadcrumbs. Mix with your hands to combine all seasonings. If mixture is very wet add more breadcrumbs. It will remain sticky.

2. Preheat oven to 350. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet. Form patties and gently place in oil and let cook until browned, turn over and cook the other side. When all patties are browned place on a baking sheet and continue to cook in oven (to make sure the chicken is cooked all the way)while you make the sauce.

3. Heat 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp butter in pan, add 2 cloves minced garlic and cook over medium low heat, (do not burn or garlic will turn bitter). Add wine and let reduce by half, then add chicken stock. Let sauce cook down and reduce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If you want the sauce to be thicker stir in some wondra flour.

4. Return patties to pan with sauce, turning to coat both sides. If desired, top with some shredded mozzarella and put the pan under the broiler to melt.

8 comments:

Michele said...

What a surprise when I saw this in my reader! I'm soo glad you liked them. Your photo is amazing! Thanks so much for linking back!!!

:-)

cajunquilter said...

Would you please give me the recipe for the side dish you served with this? It looks like rice and zucchini?

DailyChef said...

Oh wow, what creative patties! These look delicious!

Colleen said...

Wow, these look delicious - great flavors!

dining room table said...

These are great flavors combined! I would love to make some. Your photo is so divine that it made my mouth water.

KAC said...

Mmm those look delish I would LOVE to make those!

Lisa said...

oog! great dinner idea and I think DH would like them too! thanks!

Anonymous said...

I just made these tonight. They are fantastic! However, I read thru the recipe several times and it never says what to do with the sauteed garlic/onion mixture. I assumed it went in the patty mixture and they came out great. Just wanted to point it out in case anyone else got confused.
Thanks for a great recipe!