I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Chewy

Ahh, The Chewy. I swear, this has to be one of Alton Brown's most famous recipes. I love Alton Brown, and wanted to use up some bread flour, so I decided it was time for me to make them. My mom is famous for her chocolate chip cookie recipe, which tends to be more crisp, so I was interested to see how these turned out.

IMG_0020c

Admittedly, I was quite disenchanted at first. I didn't love them. I barely liked them. Sure, the texture was spot on, but the flavor was missing something, for me. Though, I wondered if this was just a result of my clean eating lifestyle. However, I gave them another shot the next day, and thought they were much, much better! The flavor had definitely developed and I thought they were very good!  I should also note that my husband thought they were fantastic.


IMG_0021c

The Chewy
Source: Alton Brown

* 2 sticks unsalted butter
* 2 1/4 cups bread flour
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 egg yolk
* 2 tablespoons milk
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Hardware:

* Ice cream scooper (#20 disher is recommended, but I didn't have that so I just eye-balled it)
* Parchment paper
* Baking sheets
* Mixer

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

6 comments:

Bridget said...

Wow, they certainly look perfect. I actually replace the yolk+milk with another whole egg, because I hate using only one part of eggs. And I use table salt instead of kosher in all of my baking. Oh yeah, and I follow the standard creaming method for mixing the dough instead of using melted butter. Hmm...apparently I don't really make The Chewy anymore, do I?

Plain Chicken said...

Those look so dang good! I am going to have to make these now! Dang it!! Thanks!

Alice said...

This is my absolute favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe!

DailyChef said...

Mm...chewy chocolate chip cookies...where's my milk?

Jen said...

The pics look great. I have to admit these are my fav chocolate chip cookies. When I met AB back in Oct, I told him I loved them. He said they're most people's favs although a lot of people also like the Puffy (I wasn't a fan).

~Amber~ said...

I can't say that I have ever made this particular chocolate chip cookie recipe yet but I might just have to. Your pictures look inviting.