This is a fabulous dish that was easy to throw together with cooked chicken. The green salsa was fabulous, and the whole dish had great flavor and was a great comfort meal!
Chicken Tortilla Pie
Source: Everyday Food magazine
* 12 corn tortillas (6-inch), toasted (I used homemade whole wheat tortillas)
* 2 cups cooked, shredded dark-meat chicken (I used chopped cooked chicken breast)
* 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles (I used fresh jalapenos)
* 1 1/2 cups Green or Red Salsa (recipe follows)
* 1 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
* 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (6 ounces)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In an 8-inch square baking dish, layer 4 tortillas, 1 cup chicken, cup chiles, 1/2 cup salsa, 1/3 cup sour cream, and 1/2 cup cheese; repeat once. Top with remaining tortillas, salsa, sour cream, and cheese. Bake until top is browned and bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes.
Green or Red Salsa
* 8 tomatillos (for Red Salsa, substitute 6 plum tomatoes, halved)
* 1 onion, halved
* 1 to 2 jalapenos, halved (ribs and seeds removed, if desired)
* 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
* Coarse salt
1. On a rimmed baking sheet, broil tomatillos, onion, jalapenos, and garlic until lightly charred, 4 minutes. Puree in a blender until smooth. Thin with 1/2 to 3/4 cup water, and season with salt.