I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Monday, December 21, 2009

Potato Tomato Tart

I am finally nearing the end of the 8 pound bag of potatoes I bought to make gnocchi. This tart was a great way to get rid of two more - it's delicious and doesn't require much effort!

I had Idaho potatoes, so I used that instead of the yukon gold she suggests. The tart still turned out great, though I can imagine how wonderful creamy yukon golds would be! I don't have a mandoline for beautiful even slicing, so my layers were kind of wonky. I didn't even bother trying to get it out of the pan in one piece (since I picked a terrible, high sided pan for this), but it was so soft I could cut it with my spatula and serve it right out of the pan. Perfect!

Served on an authentic Florentine hand-painted plate - which I thought was a perfect fit.
IMG_0309c
Potato Tomato Tart
Source: The Way the Cookie Crumbles, slight adapted wording.
Serves 2 for a light meal

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, sliced thin
salt and pepper
2 large (or maybe 3 small) plum tomatoes, sliced thin
2½ ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced thin (or just over ½ cup shredded)
3-4 basil leaves, sliced thin

1. Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Arrange the potatoes in one layer on the bottom of the skillet, overlapping each slice. Season with pepper and a generous pinch of salt. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are almost tender and are lightly browned on the bottom.

2. Arrange the tomatoes in one layer of overlapping slices over the potatoes. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, until the tomatoes are slightly softened. Evenly disperse the mozzarella over the tomatoes and cook a few minutes, until it’s melty. Sprinkle the top of the tart with basil.

3. Transfer the tart as little as possible, or cut and serve straight from the pan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! That looks and sounds delicious. :)

Bridget said...

This looks great, but mostly I just want that beautiful plate!

Natalie said...

aewsome combo of ingredients!!