I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Thursday, December 24, 2009

Caramel Corn

Caramel corn sounded like the perfect addition to my holiday baking baskets for friends. I'm always intimidated by caramel, since I seem to be adept at burning it, but this was really easy to make and turned out fabulous! Next time I make it (as my husband is already requesting another batch), I'll add the peanuts.
IMG_0007c


 Caramel Corn
Source: Christie's Corner/Good Things Catered
  • 1 cup popcorn unpopped (or 3 bags microwave popcorn)
  • 1 cup butter (use just 1/2 cup if using microwave popcorn)
  • 1/2 cup corn syrup
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups peanuts (optional)
Instructions
  1. Pop popcorn using your preferred method.
  2. Place popped corn and peanuts (if using) in a very large bowl. If you don’t have a big enough bowl, use two bowls. You will need lots of room to toss the corn when coating it.
  3. Preheat oven to 250F.
  4. In a 2-quart saucepan, over medium heat, gently melt the butter.
  5. Stir in the corn syrup, brown sugar and salt. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the sugar mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
  6. Boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
  7. Remove from the heat, stir in the baking soda and vanilla. Note: The mixture will foam and become frothy.
  8. Pour the caramel sauce over the popped corn and toss to coat throughly. Don’t worry about clumps as the caramel will remain spreadable while cooking and the coating can be evened out.
  9. Spread the popcorn evenly onto 2 large cookie or baking sheets. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
  10. Spoon cooked popcorn onto waxed paper and allow to cool before breaking apart.
  11. Keep grubby handed scavengers at bay with a wooden spoon while you seal cooled caramel corn in an airtight container — Or serve immediately.

1 comment:

DailyChef said...

Oh, so yummy! I especially love step 11 ;) Not sure I'll have time to make this Christmas Day, but if I get done with cleaning the house before people come over, will definitely try!