I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Roasted Garlic Hummus and Whole Wheat Pita Bread

I love hummus, but most recipes call for raw garlic and I find it to be a bit too strong (as much as I love garlic!). I went off in search of a better way to incorporate garlic another way, and came across a recipe for roasted garlic hummus. I made a few modifications and it came out great! This is my go-to hummus recipe now. :-) But, what's hummus without some pita bread? I'm trying to use more whole wheat flour, and found a very simple recipe that was easy and turned out great! I was worried they wouldn't turn out right, as this was my first try at pita bread, but I did achieve the characteristic pocket inside - they even puffed up like whoopee cushions. :-)

Roasted Garlic Hummus
Inspired by justinsomnia.org

~1 head garlic
~1 15-20 oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) with liquid reserved
~juice of 1 lemon
~1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
~3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
~1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
~1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
~1 1/2 tsp salt
~1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 375F. Cut top off of head of garlic. Spray the tops with olive oil and wrap it in foil. Roast for 45 minutes.

Discard the shells of the chickpeas. Squeeze roasted garlic out of the skin, and add to a food processor or blender. Add chickpeas and blend. Add the remaining ingredients and blend, using the reserved chickpea liquid to reach the desired consistency.

Whole Wheat Pita Bread
Source:Recipezaar.com

~4 cups whole wheat flour
~1 tablespoon dry yeast ( I used one packet of rapid rise yeast)
~1 1/4 cups warm water (120-130F degrees)
~1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 500°F.
2. Sift together 2 cups of flour and the yeast.
3. Add water and salt and mix well.
4. Gradually add in the remaining flour just until the dough begins to clean the sides of the bowl. Once this happens, stop adding flour (so, you might not use all the flour the recipe calls for.).
5. Knead the dough for about 4 or 5 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. (While you're kneading, you can get creative and add in some herbs or spices, but only if you want to do that). Be careful not to over-knead the dough.
6. Form dough into 10 balls.
7. On a floured surface, roll each ball into a 5-6 inch circle, about 1/4 inch thick. (Be sure to sprinkle a little flour on both sides to prevent sticking).
8. Place on a non-stick baking sheet and allow to rise 30 minutes, or until slightly raised.
9. Just before you place the pan in the oven, flip each pita over on its other side.
10. Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 5 minutes. (The instant hot heat will help them puff up).
11. When the pitas come out of the oven they will be hard, but they will soften as the cool.
12. Store them, while they're still warm, in plastic baggies or an airtight container.
13. Cut the pitas in half crosswise and stuff with your favorite fillings (beans and rice, taco fixings, thick stews, curries - anything goes).
14. Pitas can be reheated in a 350°F oven or in the microwave.

NOTE: On the second time around, I added about a tablespoon of italian seasoning - wow, what a difference! It really livened them up! I definitely recommend adding your favorite herbs!

9 comments:

Linds said...

Yum, I love roasted garlic hummus and your pitas look great. I have been dying to make my own too, maybe I will give it a whirl this weekend. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for hummus! And you KNOW I love my pita bread!

Drooling now...thanks...

The Food Librarian said...

Both look soooo good. I'm hungry! You did a great job with the pita!!

That Girl said...

I love roasted garlic, I'm going to have to try it in hummus!

Cate said...

That pita is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Anonymous said...

YUM!! these both look great! wonderful job with the pita and thanks for sharing the whole wheat recipe. :)

~Amber~ said...

The hummus and pitas both look incredible! I need to try to make some hummus myself, the only time I have ever had it was out in California on vacation.

Maryanna said...

mmmm. I can't wait to try this. What a great snack!!

Ally said...

Omg, they both look fabulous! I need to try that whole wheat version of pita, they are perfect looking!