I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Sunday, June 8, 2008

The love affair continues...


In celebration of my new found appreciation for spaghetti squash, I've been looking for other ways to incorporate it into dishes (having 2 sitting on the counter is a great motivator!). When I saw a recipe for spicy shrimp over at Lovestoeat, I knew my husband would love it. With every intention of making shrimp, I found myself with some thawed chicken that needed to be used, so I substituted that instead. I ask my husband if he'd rather have spaghetti squash or real pasta (thank goodness he likes it enough for me to be able to ask that!), much to my disappointment, he requested real pasta. I couldn't put my love aside... so... I did it. I made HIM pasta and ME spaghetti squash. He was happy, I was happy, and the oven was on anyway for some cupcakes (and apple crisp, but we won't go there). This turned out GREAT and we both loved it... very light, but full of flavor! Spicy Chicken with Spaghetti Squash
Lovestoeat

~4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (mine were small) or 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
~2 Tbsp Olive Oil
~1/2 chopped Onion
~1/2 tsp Thyme
~1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
~1/2 tsp Black Pepper
~1/2 tsp Basil
~1/2 tsp Tabasco Sauce
~1 Tbsp Garlic, chopped
~1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
~1/2 cups Tomato, peeled and diced (I omitted the peeling step)
~2 Tbsp Sugar-I omitted this
~1/2 cup Green Onions, chopped
~3 cups Chicken Broth
~1 lb Vermicelli or Linguini, or 1 spaghetti squash, cut in half and roasted, then shredded.
~1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated-I omitted this

Directions:
In a large pot, start cooking your pasta (if using). Boil until tender.

Meanwhile, in a non-stick fry pan, sauté the onion in the olive oil for approximately 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir. Add thyme, cayenne and black peppers, and basil and cook at low heat for 5 more minutes. Add everything else except for the pasta, shrimp, and cheese, and cook over low heat for about one-half hour or until the liquid is reduced.

Meanwhile, in another fry pan, sauté the shrimp or chicken in some butter and garlic until three-quarters cooked. Add the onion and garlic mixture and cook for an additional two minutes (or until chicken is cooked through). Add the cooked pasta and toss well with the grated cheese.

3 comments:

Linds said...

Yum, I love spaghetti squash too- this looks great!

That Girl said...

Your first mistake was asking him what he wanted;-)

Anonymous said...

Seriously, I starred this recipe to try but I had forgetten about it. I'm glad you said it so good (and took awesome pics) b/c we will certainly have to try it soon!