I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Thursday, November 19, 2009

Homemade Granola

IMG_0088c

This recipe was actually for breakfast bars, but they didn’t stay together for me (I think due to my under baking them).  However, they work great crumbled up into granola and tossed into some greek yogurt.  I’m a huge fan of greek yogurt, but I’ll be honest – I usually eat it plain.  I don’t see it as something to try and make sweet.  I love it the way it is!  The granola is not really sweet, so for me, it makes a perfect addition to yogurt.  Together, they are a great breakfast or snack!  A great add-in to the yogurt and granola is natural peanut butter - that is officially my favorite way to eat this!
IMG_0084c

Homemade Granola
Slightly adapted from: Clean Eating Magazine, November/December 2009, page 48
  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • 1 cup unsalted pecans, chopped
  • 1 cup unsalted roasted almonds, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dried unsweetened apricots
  • 1 cup dried unsweetened figs
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened golden raisins
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened brown rice cereal
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or raw organic honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly mist a 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
  2. Combine pecans, almonds, apricots and figs in a food processor.  Lightly pulse until chopped.  Transfer pecan mixture to a large mixing bowl; add oats, raisins and cereal. 
  3. In a separate bowl, combine egg whites, syrup or honey, cinnamon, salt and vanilla, stirring well.  Add to pecan mixture, mixing well.
  4. Spread mixture onto prepared pan, pressing down gently.  Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.  Allow to cool 15 to 30 minutes before crumbling into granola. Store in ziplock bags in the refrigerator or freezer.

No comments: