I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Friday, May 22, 2009

Chocolate Zabaglione

After baking a cake last weekend, I had some leftover egg yolks. I find that leftover egg whites are a lot easier to get rid of. Though it may seen strange that I don't want to use the yolks for ice cream, I have yet to master the custard style and certainly didn't feel like messing around this week.

So I turned to google and was intrigued by zabaglione, an Italian dessert. It can be served warm or cold, and is a creamy custard type dessert often served with fruit (or so I gather). Giada's recipe for chocolate zabaglione sounded perfect! It's creamy, with a little bite and warmth from the wine. I didn't have marsala, so I substituted in some madeira wine. I hope that is not blasphemous, haha! I cut the recipe down based on my 3 egg yolks, and got 2 servings.



Chocolate Zabaglione
Source: Giada De Laurentiis

* 1/4 cup whipping cream, or heavy cream
* 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
* 8 large egg yolks
* 2/3 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup dry Marsala
* Pinch salt
* 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered (I used raspberries)

Directions

Add cream and chocolate to a heavy small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until the chocolate chips are melted and smooth. Set aside and keep warm.

Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, Marsala, and salt in a large glass bowl until blended. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, but do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water. Whisk the egg mixture over the simmering water until it is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Using a large rubber spatula, fold the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.

Divide the strawberries among 6 coupe dishes. Pour the warm zabaglione over the strawberries and serve.

3 comments:

Melissa @ For the Love of Health said...

Interesting and wonderful! I bet it tastes fabulous!

Colleen said...

Ooh I have never tried this - your post intrigues me!

Anonymous said...

This looks so creamy and indulgent!