I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Monday, May 25, 2009

Buttercream Icing

Buttecream icing and I haven't been getting along. I tried a few recipes, hated them, and basically didn't know where else to turn. I had to make a cake for an upcoming work party, so I went off in search of a new buttercream icing recipe. I stumbled on the Repressed Pastry Chef and thought, with this glowing review, how can I not try it?? In terms of flavor, I LOVED IT. In terms of texture, it didn't go on the cake as smoothly as I wanted, but perhaps I added too much water, not enough, or just plain stink at icing cakes so that's my problem. I will play with it on my next cake and see how it goes. Anyway, I'm in love.



Buttercream Dream Icing
Source: The Repressed Pastry Chef

1 stick salted butter - room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter - room temperature
1 cup shortening
1 tablespoon Clear Vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar, 10x)
4-6 tablespoons very cold milk

Directions
Cream the butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric or stand mixer. Add the clear vanilla extract and combine well. Begin adding in the sugar and mixing thoroughly after each addition. After all of the sugar has been added and mixed thoroughly, begin adding the very cold milk... one tablespoon at a time, combining very well after each addition (mixer on medium-high to high speed) until you reach the desired consistency.

1 comment:

Karin said...

This cake is too pretty!! My favorite Buttercream Recipe is in allrecipes.com search Special Buttercream. It has heavy cream instead of milk and I dont use the entire amount of sugar! Another fav of mine is Kaye's buttercream on Whimiscal Bakehouse. I had to try a few before I knew which one was great to work with. Plus beating it at a lower speed in the end provides better results. Less air in the icing!!