I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir-Fry

Back in the day, I used more butter than any one person should. All that butter lead me to a boatload of UPCs which I could redeem for a free subscription to Everyday Food Magazine. Yay! Unfortunately, those poor magazines have been piling up with nary a glance... until this weekend. I finally sat down and completed my recipe organization (which I'll explain another day!) and went through the magazines to bookmark recipes I wanted to try. About the time my husband suggested having stir-fry for dinner, I came upon a sweet and sour pork stir-fry recipe. I decided to modify it to our tastes (namely changing out the pork for some chicken) and give it a shot.

We really enjoyed this dinner. I was afraid of the pineapple, because while pineapple is my bff, I only like it in the raw fruit form, not cooked into a meal. But, I ended up really liking the addition of pineapple! As an added bonus, all the veggies made me think I was eating something healthy! I even got my husband to try (and like!) brown rice because I forgot to cook him white rice (oops). Score one for me! I just realized some sugar snap peas would be another great addition to this meal. Next time....

Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir-Fry
Adapted from Everyday Food
Martha says it serves four... but I think it's more like 3.
  • 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks in juice, drained (juice reserved)
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 pound b/s chicken breast, sliced into strips
  • 6 scallions, white and green parts separated, cut into 1-inch lengths**
  • 1.5 cups chopped broccoli
  • 1 large carrot, julienne
  • 1/4 of a large white onion, diced
  • 1 large celery stalk, sliced thinly
  • Cooked rice, for serving

In a small bowl, stir together 1/3 cup pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch, and 1/4 cup water. Season sauce with salt and pepper.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Cook chicken until opaque on both sides, about 2 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.

To skillet, add broccoli, carrot, onion, and celery; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes. (Or, forget about them leave them alone like I did and they turn out just fine).

Add chicken (along with any juices) and pineapple chunks. Whisk sauce; add to skillet. Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring, until sauce thickens, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in scallions, and serve with rice.


**I buy a bunch of scallions, then chop and store them in ~1/3 cup portions wrapped in saran wrap and in a freezer bag. I grabbed two portions for this recipe.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the photos with that flash!

Anonymous said...

I love the butter story! The food looks great and those pictures are AMAZING!! LOVE IT!

Stefany said...

You and me both, Bridget!

~Amber~ said...

I was so close to having enough UPC's to get a magazine subscription but the contest ended before I had a chance to mail in the last few. I have been saving them ever since, I have quite a pile going right now, especially after Christmas baking. I sure hope they offer that promotion again. :)

This looks delicious, I think I will add stir-fry to my menu for this week.

That Girl said...

It looks healthy too!

Kelsey said...

This looks really delicious and flavorful. Your pics look amazing, too!

Anonymous said...

I get Everyday Food and I've been meaning to try this recipe. Thanks for posting!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks delicious and your new flash is *awesome*!

Colleen said...

I am also wary of all fruit in my dinner - but with your review for this I am going to give it a try!

McKenzie said...

I'm in need of some recipe organization myself - can't wait for you to explain yours!