I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Orange Sherbet


I've been looking to branch out from our usual mint chocolate chip or peanut butter ice cream, and orange sherbet came to mind as a past favorite of mine. I started with the basic ice cream recipe I've been using from Doc Wilson (sadly the site has been down for some time now), and after googling to get an idea of what goes in sherbet, I set out to mix up the base. At first, it wasn't sweet enough, but after a quick melting and re-chilling I was able to fix the problem! This turned out great - it's very refreshing with a bright citrus taste. My favorite way to serve is with jimmies (chocolate sprinkles for you non-New Englanders).




Orange Sherbet
Adapted from Doc Wilson's Old Time Vanilla Ice Cream

~1/4 cup egg beaters
~1/2 can of fat free sweetened condensed milk (7 ounces)
~6 Tablespoons white sugar
~juice of 4 oranges, about 10 ounces
~4 ounces heavy whipping cream
~6 ounces fat free half and half
~4 ounces skim milk (or 1%, or 2%, whatever you have)
~zest of 1 orange

In a large mixing bowl whisk together egg beaters, sweetened condensed milk, and sugar until thoroughly mixed. Add heavy whipping cream, half and half, skim milk, orange zest and orange juice. For the very best results (who wants anything less?), let the mix chill in the refrigerator for about four hours (or overnight) which allows the mix to age before freezing according to the directions with your ice cream freezer. Makes about 4 cups.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

This looks absolutely wonderful! My dad used to make orange sherbet in an old school ice cream maker when I was a child. He always used Sunkist, which was tasty when I was younger, but I'd love to give this more refined version a try.

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOODNESS that look sooo good! I lov ethe shot of the oranges and the first pic looks so DREAMY with that fabric (I think it's fabric at least). SO PRETTY!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks like a great recipe considering the lighter ingredients used. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love sherbet but for some reason I never thought of making it myself. I might have to try this!

Melissa said...

I love sherbet and have to try making my own. The orange sounds like a great flavor! I'm glad to read that you were able to melt it back down to adjust it a bit and still have it come out great.

That Girl said...

The sherbet sounds good, but that ORANGE!!! I think I would have to eat it and not use it in a recipe.

nicole said...

oh I love chocolate and organe together. yummy!