I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Thursday, January 8, 2009

BB: Banana Sour Cream Pancakes

Pancakes are always a hit in our house, so I was really excited to see them as this week's Barefoot Bloggers recipe! I made a few substitutions, that have recently become pretty standard for me. First, I used greek yogurt (2%) in place of sour cream. I also used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour. I also had some frozen bananas I wanted to use up, so I chopped them and mixed them in with the wet ingredients instead of sprinkling them on the batter as it cooked. These pancakes are amazing!! I ate way too many, but we still had half the batch leftover to freeze for another day - yay!


Banana Sour Cream Pancakes
Barefoot Contessa Family Style, page 177
Chosen by Karen of Something Sweet by Karen
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
  • 2 extra-large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • Unsalted butter
  • 2 ripe bananas, diced, plus extra for serving
  • Pure maple syrup

Directions

Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing only until combined.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it bubbles. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan to make 3 or 4 pancakes. Distribute a rounded tablespoon of bananas on each pancake. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned. Flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute until browned. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add more butter to the pan, and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used. Serve with sliced bananas, butter and maple syrup.

9 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Looks fabulous.


I added extra vanilla to mine.

That Girl said...

I bet the whole wheat pastry flour made them extra delicious!

Anonymous said...

They look delicious! I LOVE that platter!
~Cat

Anonymous said...

looks really good, glad you liked them! next time i make these i'm going the whole wheat pastry flour route too. i've also never tried greek yogurt in place of sour cream but i've seen a lot of people substituting with it.

Anonymous said...

Looks like something my husband would love! Thanks for posting.

Kelsey said...

I'm loving reading about your healthier changes. Keep up the great work!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks delicious and never thought to use sour cream in pancakes!

Anonymous said...

AHHHHH! You and your pancakes, dang it!! LOL @ it being SOUR CREAM pancakes and you using yogurt! that's hilarious. and ps - I like yogurt WAY better. Sour cream is for suckers. ;)

Suzie said...

Great idea to freeze the leftovers. I used yoghurt too.