I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Friday, January 23, 2009

Glazed Chicken and Vegetables


Another recipe I found in the Better Homes and Garden cookbook was Glazed Chicken and Vegetables. We are always looking for different things to do with chicken, including a little variation from boneless, skinless chicken breasts. This looked like a great way to change it up.

We really enjoyed the combination of flavors here, though I think next time I'll make a little more sauce and baste the chicken with it more. It dripped off more than I wanted it to. Other than that, we thought it was great! I'll admit - I didn't eat the apples and will probably leave them out next time. :-)


Glazed Chicken and Vegetables
Reworded from Better Homes and Gardens Bridal Edition

~3 to 3.5 pound whole broiler-fryer chicken
~cooking oil
~3 medium potatoes, quartered (about 1 pound)
~6 carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick (about 1 pound)
~1/2 cup honey
~1/4 cup mustard
~2 tablespoons butter
~2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
~2 teaspoons curry powder
~1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
~1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
~1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
~2 medium apples, cored and cut into wedges

Directions:

Rinse inside of chicken, pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow baking pan (or large oven safe saute pan). Roast, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook potatoes and carrots in boiling water (or steam them) for 15 to 20 minutes or until nearly tender, then drain.

To make the glaze, combine honey, mustard and spices in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside. Discard drippings from roasting pan and arrange potatoes, carrots, and apples around chicken in pan. Spoon glaze over chicken, vegetables and apples. Roast, uncovered, for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until thigh reaches 180 degrees. Serve cooking juices over chicken and vegetables.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful chicken! And al your dinner in one pan!? Faaabulous! Love the picture btw. :)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks delicious and your pics are awesome!

That Girl said...

There's something so comforting about a whole roasted chicken.

Courtney said...

This looks wonderful, and your pictures are beautiful (as always). I'm always looking for something to do besides the usual boneless, skinless chicken breast, so I hope to try this one soon.
I also wanted to let you know I nominated you for a blog award. It's just my way of saying thanks for being such an inspiration for me in the kitchen. :) You can pick it up on my blog.

Ellie said...

I love one-pot meals - this looks like a delicious dinner!

Anonymous said...

Looks like an interesting combo of flavors for a roast chicken. Looking forward to trying this one!