I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Jerk Chicken Wings

The ingredients for this recipe fell together easily for me... scallions were on sale last week and I had stocked up, and drumsticks went on sale this week. Everything else I already had plenty of. As soon as I finished blending the marinade, I knew this had been a good choice. It smelled heavenly! We grilled them and they turned out great - flavorful and spicy. I am glad I cut down and just used one jalapeno, it was just enough heat for me.



Jerk Chicken Wings
Source: Everyday Food Magazine

12 scallions, tops and bottoms trimmed, chopped
8 cloves of garlic
4 dried bay leaves
1 habanero or 2 jalapeno chiles, chopped (I used 1 jalapeno)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
4 teaspoons ground allspice
course salt and ground pepper
6 pounds chicken wings (I used 3 pounds drumsticks)
lime wedges, for serving

1. In a food processor, pulse scallions, garlic, bay leaves, habanero, vinegar, thyme, allspice, 1 tablespoon of salt, and 2 tablespoons pepper until coarsely ground. In a large shallow dish, toss chicken with jerk mixture and refrigerate at least one hour (up to 1 day).

2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange chicken on foil lined rimmed baking sheet and cook until browned, 35-40 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.
To grill, cook over medium, covered, until cooked through, 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally. Serve with lime wedges.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Yum - i will have to bookmark this in my copy and try it soon!

Kerstin said...

I love jerk chicken - looks great!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health said...

Looks really good! I definitely have to try this!

Anonymous said...

Oooooh! Bookmarking these!! They look FABULOUS for summer!