I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Thursday, November 13, 2008

BB - Herb-Roasted Onions - spruced up!


Time for another episode of Barefoot Bloggers. I'll take this moment to say that I've loved everything we've made so far and am really glad I joined this group! This week's recipe is Herb-Roasted Onions - yum! I decided that just plain onion was a bit of a stretch for me, so I beefed it up a little by adding some chopped beets, butternut squash, and potatoes. These really added a lot to the dish (although I really should have sliced the beets into thin slices rather than cubes). I should have doubled the dressing with all that I added (even though I did use one less onion) but it was still great! We served with Herbes de Provence roasted chicken.

Herb-Roasted Onions
from Barefoot Contessa at Home on page 156
Chosen by Kelly from Baking with the Boys
  • 2 red onions (I used one)
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 3/4 cup cubed butternut squash (frozen, because that's how I store it)
  • 1 whole beet, sliced (would be better than the cubes I did)
  • 3 small white potatoes, cubed
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup good olive oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Remove the stem end of each onion and carefully slice off the brown part of the root end, leaving the root intact. Peel the onion. Stand each onion root end up on a cutting board and cut the onion in wedges through the root. Place the wedges in a bowl along with the squash, beets, and potatoes.

For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, mustard, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Pour the dressing over the onion mixture and toss well.

With a slotted spoon, transfer the onion mixture to a sheet pan, reserving the vinaigrette that remains in the bowl. Bake the onion mixture for 30 to 45 minutes, until tender and browned. (Took me longer because of the beets/potatoes - consider parboiling them first!) Toss the onions once during cooking. Remove from the oven, and drizzle with the reserved dressing. Sprinkle with parsley, season to taste and serve warm or at room temperature.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM!! That looks soooo delicious and so colorful! I LOVE IT!

chocolatechic said...

I love your additions.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love how you dressed it up. I came to look at your onions but can't stop drooling over the cheesecake.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love those colors together. You really took this to the next level. Nice job!

Peggy said...

Oh I love what you did with yours! The additions sound wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I'm scared of fresh beats (read I'm too chicken to buy them and not know what to do with them.) What a great idea!
~Cat

Megan said...

Wow - I didn't think to add anything else, but what a great idea!

Lisa said...

I was also thinking of doing something similar when I make these. Just onions sounds kind of weird to me too - unless I'm serving them over a steak or something. Good additions!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you liked the recipe. I love butternut squash. What a great addition.

Suzie said...

I love the way you took a spin on these. What a great idea (and you cook three vegetables simultaneously). Delicious.

That Girl said...

Love the idea of adding squash!