I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Saturday, August 11, 2007

Platinum Chef 4 Inspired Recipe


I don't know that I'll officially enter Platinum Chef Challenge 4, although mole would have been a perfect way to use the remaining ingredients after this creation I am presenting here today. I just never got around to figuring out how to make it (though a call to my future mother-in-law would have probably done the trick). I will, however, present my PCC4 inspired recipes over the next few days (provided they turn out good!).

I start with an original recipe, which is a huge leap for me. It was an even bigger leap because I have never cooked with sweet potatoes before, and have maybe only eaten them once in my life. This took about three batches to get it where I wanted it. I tend to be my own worst food critic, so I still feel like I should be improving on it somewhere, but I presented it to my fiance this morning. He said it was "Good", but then went back for a second one, which is a more telling sign than saying it's good. :-)

Cheesy Spicey Sweet Potato Muffins
  • 1 egg, beaten

  • ¼ cup milk (I used 2%)

  • 2 tbsp nonfat plain yogurt

  • ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce

  • 2 tbsp sugar

  • 1 cup flour

  • ¾ cup cornmeal

  • 1 1/3 tbsp baking powder

  • ½ tsp salt

  • 1 ½ tsp chili powder

  • 1 cup sweet potato, shredded

  • ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I used low fat cheddar made with 2% milk)

  • ½ cup Monterey jack with jalapeno cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 425F. Combine first four ingredients in medium sized bowl. Add sugar, mix. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and chili powder, mixing to combine. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing just until fully incorporated. Add the sweet potatoes and cheese, mixing just until evenly distributed through batter. I use foil muffin liners because I don’t have a muffin pan, and filled them approximately ¾ full, which made about 10 muffins. Bake for 20 minutes.

Servings Per Recipe: 10
Calories: 170 Fat: 5.5g Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 435mg Potassium: 93mg Total Carbs: 24g Fiber: 1.5g Protein: 6.7g


No comments: