I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Chicken Piccata

I've made chicken piccata before, but that recipe didn't call for capers (blasphemy!) and no longer fits in my clean eating lifestyle. I was very excited to see a new version in the Sept/Oct issue of Clean Eating Magazine - capers included!
IMG_0328c

This recipe turned out to be fantastic. I had some leftover artichoke hearts so I threw them in - what a great addition that turned out to be! Surprisingly, and thankfully, I didn't miss the butter in the sauce at all!

Chicken Piccata
Slightly Adapted from Clean Eating Magazine, Sept/Oct 2009, page 49

  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, divided
  • sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
  • 4, 4-oz boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4 inch thick
  • 3 tsp olive oil, divided
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
  • 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tbsps capers or olives, rinsed and coarsely chopped
  • 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped (I omitted)
  • 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, chopped (I added)


1. Reserve 1 tbsp flour for later use. In a shallow dish, combine remaining flour with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.


2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken to pan and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Remove chicken from pan and transfer to plate.


3. Using the same pan over medium high heat, add remaining 2 tsp oil, garlic, and reserved 1 tbsp flour. Heat mixture, stirring constantly for about 1 minute, scraping up any brown bits from pan. Add stock, lemon juice, artichokes and capers. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium high and simmer for about 3 minutes, until sauce thickens. Add chicken back to pan and continue to simmer for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper.

6 comments:

MrsAshleyEm said...

I'm sooo thrilled you posted this! My husband and I adore this dish but with our new healthier eating style it just doesn't work!! Glad to know there's a healthy way to prepare it!

Anonymous said...

Starring this!! I LOVE piccatta but can't take all that butter. I'm so excited about this recipe!

Mary Ellen said...

Looks great and I love the addition of the artichokes.

Unknown said...

I tried this recipe this evening and it was fabulous. I made it exactly as you posted it. Thank you so much for sharing.

Smitten Sugar said...

I love finding new chicken dishes to try! Looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

I've made this twice now and I have to make triple the batch b/c my husband loves it so much! Definitely kick started my motivation to get back to clean eating.