I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pan Seared Shrimp with Soba and Broccoli

This pan seared shrimp recipe from Cook's Illustrated sounded tasty, easy, and quick. And, it was! I ended up doubling the sauce since I wanted to combine it with some noodles. It was just the right amount and we really enjoyed the flavors.


Pan Seared Shrimp
Source: Cook's Illustrated
Serves 4

For the shrimp:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds shrimp (21/25 count), peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon granulated sugar

For the sauce:
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1.5 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
2 teaspoons water
2 scallions, sliced thin

8-12 ounces soba noodles, cooked and drained
2 cups steamed broccoli

1. Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. (Double sauce ingredients if pairing with noodles)

2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over high heat until smoking. Meanwhile, toss shrimp, salt, red pepper, and sugar in medium bowl. Add half of shrimp to pan in single layer and cook until spotty brown and edges turn pink, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat; using tongs, flip each shrimp and let stand until all but very center is opaque, about 30 seconds. Transfer shrimp to large plate. Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and shrimp; after second batch has stood off heat, return first batch to skillet along with sauce mixture and toss to combine. Cover skillet and let stand until shrimp are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes.

3. Add cooked soba noodles and steamed broccoli along with remaining sauce. Toss to combine, then serve.

8 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Looks great - I love these flavors (minus the shrimp :) My husband would love it with the shrimp. I would make it with tofu for myself.

Unknown said...

Great picture! That looks and sounds really good!

elly said...

This looks great and is right up our alley (well, except that evil broccoli my husband likes and I don't :). Hopefully I can try it soon.

Juliana said...

OMG, this soba looks so good. Great picture!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks delicious and I love your pic!

Caitlin said...

I finally made this recipe tonight and it was a big hit! I made some substitutions since we're not big fans of hoisin sauce. I made up for the lack of liquid from the hoisin with equal parts of additional soy sauce, rice vinegar, and some toasted sesame oil. I also used broccoflower (broccoli and cauliflower hybrid) and zucchini since that's what we had in the house. Thanks for the inspiration- it was delicious!

Kelsey said...

YUM! What a great flavor combo. I've got some soba noodles at home just waiting to be used up. Looks like I've found the recipe!

Bridget said...

I made this for dinner tonight, with pan-roasted green beans instead of broccoli. It was great! I'm going to add more crushed red pepper next time - I love that stuff!