I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Monday, April 20, 2009

Artichoke Turkey Casserole

My husband doesn't eat ham, so the typically Easter ham is a no-go in our house (I'm not really saddened by this). Instead, I made a turkey dinner. Since I got an 11 pound turkey for two people, there were plenty of leftovers. Luckily, my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook had a great casserole recipe for leftover turkey! I had to omit the bacon and pepper, used brown rice instead of white, used canned artichokes, and used a homemade substitute for the canned cream of chicken soup. The casserole turned out fabulous, and will definitely be a favorite use for leftovers in the future! I had enough to make two, and froze one for an easy meal on a busy night.

I am realizing now that this does not photograph well.Free Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.org But, it's too good to leave out. So here you go.


Artichoke Turkey Casserole
Source: Better Homes and Gardens, New Cookbook: Bridal Edition
Serves 6

* 1/2 cup chopped carrot (1 medium)
* 1/2 cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 small)
* 1/4 cup sliced green onion (2)
* 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
* 1 10.75-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup (or substitute, see below)
* 1 8- to 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and cut up (I used one can of quartered artichoke hearts)
* 1-1/2 cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken
* 1 cup cooked long grain rice or wild rice
* 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
* 2/3 cup milk
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
* 2 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
* 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. In a large skillet cook carrot, sweet pepper, and green onion in hot butter over medium heat until carrot is crisp-tender. Remove from heat. Stir in soup, artichoke hearts, turkey, rice, mozzarella cheese, milk, thyme, and bacon. Transfer turkey mixture to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

2. Bake, covered, in a 350° degree oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake about 20 minutes more or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.

3. Make-ahead directions:Prepare as above through step 1. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Bake, covered, in a 350° oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake about 20 minutes more or until bubbly.

Nutrition Facts per serving

* Calories: 248
* Total Fat (g): 11
* Saturated Fat (g): 5
* Monounsaturated Fat (g): 4
* Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 1
* Cholesterol (mg): 47
* Sodium (mg): 611
* Carbohydrate (g): 18
* Total Sugar (g): 3
* Fiber (g): 3
* Protein (g): 18


Cream of Soup Substitute
Source: About.com

Ingredients:

* 2 cups dry milk
* 3/4 cup cornstarch
* 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
* 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes, optional
* 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil, optional
* 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, optional
* 1/2 teaspoon ground marjoram, optional
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 2 to 3 teaspoons butter

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients except butter together and store in airtight container. To use, mix 1/2 cup dry soup mix with 1 1/4 cups water and cook until thick; add butter. This is equal to one can cream soup. The mix makes enough to equal 9 to 10 cans. For cream of mushroom or celery soup, add chopped sauteƩ mushrooms or celery along with the butter while cooking.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL @ not photographing well. But it sounds absolutely DELICIOUS! :) I want to try this!

Unknown said...

I've starred this in my Google Reader :)

I am wondering about substituting canned artichokes for the frozen? I haven't had good luck with frozen- too mushy.

Stefany said...

Lisa - I forgot to mention it, but I did use a can of quartered artichoke hearts instead of the frozen. It worked great. I'll update my entry!

Colleen said...

This looks great! Especially with that bacon in there!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Some of the best tasting food is the hardest to photograph! Nonetheless, this looks delicious and comforting!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks DELICIOUS! And your food photography is great by the way.

Michele said...

Awesome recipe! Artichokes again! You're my kinda girl! I love the substitute for creamed soup!