I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Sunday, August 24, 2008

JM Blueberry Muffins


As I mentioned, my parents were just here visiting and I had made some blueberry muffins for them. My mom mentioned that she had the recipe from Jordan Marsh... a recipe for which they were famous. Of course I told her to send it to me, and of course I used the leftover blueberries to make the Jordan Marsh recipe as soon as I had time!

Despite the fact that I just didn't bring my A-game to the kitchen that day and they don't *look* spectacular.... they certainly do *taste* spectacular! I planned to take just a bite of one, as I had already had breakfast, but couldn't help but to eat the whole thing! If you are in the market for blueberry muffins, this recipe, at the very least, deserves to be on the short list!

Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins
Makes 12

~2 cups sifted all purpose flour (I used 1/4 whole wheat flour)
~2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
~½ cup butter
~1 ¼ cups sugar
~2 eggs
~½ cup milk
~2 ½ cups blueberries
~2 tsp sugar, for dusting tops

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease well muffin pans (bottom and top).

In large bowl, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until well blended.

Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Then add flour mixture to butter/egg/sugar mixture alternately with milk, beating by hand just until combined.

With a fork, mash ½ cup blueberries and add into mixture. Add rest of blueberries, mixing in gently. Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool in pans about 1/2 hour before removing.

9 comments:

Linds said...

It is so uncanny that you posted this recipe, I have been thinking about making these too! For as long as I can remember my mom's 'go to' recipe for blueberry muffins was the JM one. SO GOOD! I actually remember being on shopping trips with my mom there (before they were bought out by Federated) and getting the muffins warm from their cafe. I wonder if it's a MA thing, bc people who aren't from that area have no idea what Jordan Marsh even was! Awesome recipe though! :)

Stefany said...

Ha, I guess I should admit that I never had one from the store! My only real memories of Jordan Marsh were walking in the loading dock/employee entrance with my mom (she was an employee) whenever we went to the mall. I can't believe I've gone all this time without having one!

Anonymous said...

These look yummy! I love blueberry muffins!

That Girl said...

I kinda like the flat top muffins!

Anonymous said...

These look delicious!! Unfortunately my husband asked me to make bluberry muffins this weekend and I still blew it - ate two myself.

~Amber~ said...

I love blueberry muffins, I bet these were fantastic!!

Colleen said...

these look great! i make the jordan marsh blueberry loaf (included sour cream)...i didn't even know there were muffins!

Amber said...

These were great! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

Laura said...

I'm guessing Jordan Marsh is a regional thing, I've never heard of them. But I just made these muffins. They turned out great!