I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Monday, May 19, 2008

Tasty Tools: Strawberry Mango Frozen Yogurt


This round of Joelen's Tasty Tools has us utilizing the mighty blender. Channeling some Platinum Chef inspiration, I decided I wanted to make some Strawberry Mango Frozen Yogurt. I had not yet crossed the frozen yogurt bridge with my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker, so I figured now was the time! I started with a recipe from David Lebowitz for Strawberry Frozen Yogurt and doctored it up (read: added some mango) :-)

This has a wonderful flavor to it... not overly strawberry and not overly mango - a perfect blend! I did have the typical homemade frozen yogurt issue of it basically solidifying in the freezer instead of ripening to a nice creamy dessert, and I may play around with greek yogurt for the next batch, or drain the regular yogurt for a while before using it. Either way, it is a cool yummy treat perfect for the... almost summer days!

Strawberry Mango Frozen Yogurt
Adapted from: David Lebowitz
Makes about 1 quart (1 liter)

~1 pound (450 g) strawberries, rinsed and hulled
~2/3 cup (130 g) sugar
~optional: 2 teaspoons vodka or kirsch
~1 cup (240 g) plain, whole milk yogurt
~fruit from 2 mangos

1. Slice the strawberries into small pieces. Toss in a bowl with the sugar and vodka or kirsch (if using) until the sugar begins to dissolve. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, stirring every so often.
2. Transfer the strawberries and their juice to a blender or food processor. Add the yogurt and mango. Pulse the machine until the mixture is almost smooth. If you wish, press mixture through a mesh strainer to remove any seeds.
3. Chill for 1 hour, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! This looks SOOOO amzingly good! i"m going to HAVe to make this soon!!!

Lindsey said...

this looks amazing!!!

Maryanna said...

Um.... Yum!