So, first things first: Blueberry Martini. This wonderful martini mix is courtesy of Stirrings. Initially, my local liquor store did not carry the blueberry mix, but I asked for it and a week later they had a shelf stocked. :-)
- 2 parts Stirrings Wild Blueberry Martini mix
- 1 part citrus vodka (I used Skyy Limon)
- 3-4 blueberries (frozen ones sink, fresh ones float....I like sinking better)
Combine mix and vodka on ice; shake. Pour over blueberries in chilled martini glass.
Ok, onto the food! I've been wanting to make something with wontons, so I decided to make a mexican style filling and include the blueberries to give a sweetness that would balance the onion and pepper.
Sweet and Spicy Wontons
- one can (11oz) corn
- 2/3 cup blueberries (I used fresh and halved them)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1-2 cups 4 cheese mexican blend (I wanted them to be cheesy, so I mixed some in the filling, then added some on top just before closing the wontons.)
- approx 30 wonton wraps
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine all ingredients (except wonton wraps) in bowl. Drop spoonfuls of mixture in center of wonton wrap. Sprinkle extra cheese if desired. Dot edge of wrap with water, fold up to seal into a pocket. Place on baking sheet lined with non-stick foil (or parchment or cooking spray).
Here are mine, ready for the oven:
Bake wontons at 400 degrees F for approx. 10 -12 minutes, until wontons are crisp.
Here is the finished product! My fiance actually was brave enough to try my creation after I made a small first batch. His response was that I should make more :-)