I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ginger Sesame Chicken with Bok Choy

I've been holding onto this recipe for probably 6 years. Truthfully, I had copied this recipe because it was on the same page as a different one that I wanted to make (but never did). I'm thankful that my tastes and experience has changed in the last few years, and I decided to make this recipe instead of whatever else was on that page.

Tempted as I was to grab my standby, shiitake mushrooms, I decided to be adventurous and get the oyster mushrooms. I still like shiitake better, but I am glad I branched out and tried them in this dish.

IMG_0001c

This recipe was quick to throw together, and I thought it would be great with soba noodles instead of rice. The flavors were great together - a little sweet and a little heat!

Ginger-Sesame Chicken with Bok Choy and Mushrooms
Source: Slightly adapted from Food and Wine
Servings: 4
  •  1/2 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
  •  3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  •  1 tablespoon sherry
  •  1 tablespoon sugar (agave nectar, maple syrup, honey, or sucanat would work well for clean eaters)
  •  1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
  •  1/2 teaspoon unseasoned rice vinegar
  •  1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
  •  1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  •  3 tablespoons canola oil
  •  3/4 pound oyster mushrooms, thickly sliced
  •  3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
  •  Salt and freshly ground pepper
  •  3/4 pound bok choy, thickly sliced crosswise
  •  1 small red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
  •  2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
  •  1 garlic clove, minced 
  •  1/2 to 3/4 pound cooked soba noodles

Directions

1. In a medium jar, combine the chicken stock with the soy sauce, sherry, sugar, dissolved cornstarch, rice vinegar, sesame oil and crushed red pepper and shake well.

2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the canola oil until shimmering. Add the oyster mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, about 6 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a large plate.

3. Add another 2 teaspoons of canola oil to the skillet. Season the chicken breast pieces generously with salt and pepper, add them to the skillet and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until they are golden and just barely cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken pieces to the plate with the oyster mushrooms.

4. Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to the skillet along with the bok choy and red pepper and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the plate.

5. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of canola oil to the skillet along with the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Return the chicken and vegetables to the skillet. Shake the sauce and add it to the skillet. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a bowl over noodles and serve.



Nutritional Information (without noodles or rice, I'm assuming)
Calories: 265
Total fat: 13.3 g
Saturated fat: 1.1 g
Carb: 12 g

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Looks delicious! I have always wanted to try soba noodles. I like that most of these ingredients are already in my pantry.

DailyChef said...

Six years! That's a long time. I also tend to like shiitake mushrooms, but experimenting is fun.

I also wouldn't have thought to use soba noodles instead of rice. Great idea!

sue said...

Darn. I was hoping to learn what Boy Choy was. I love typos. lol

Stefany said...

Thanks Sue!

Kurdistan said...

looks delicious wanna try it

elly said...

FINALLY got around to making this! We really liked it - thanks!