I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Oven Baked Fries

Even after the delicious gratin, I had a few yukon gold potatoes left over. I decided to make oven-baked fries with them based on this idea from About.com. I think they turned out fabulous, though my execution was a little off. They'd do best elevated on a rack, and well separated (or at least checked on in the first 15 min to move them around a bit). Mine sat in the oven, untouched, for the whole time and I literally had one giant mass of fries when I was done. It was no problem separating them back to individual fries again, but it would have been nicer if they came out of the oven that way. :-) Anyway, they had a nice outer coating (not crunchy but not mush), and a lovely creamy center.

Oven Baked Fries
Source: Adapted from about.com
Serves: 2

3 yukon gold potatoes, peeled or scrubbed well
2 egg whites
2-3 teaspoons of seasoning, your choice (I think I used some combo of garlic powder, paprika, mexican oregano)

Slice potatoes into 1/4" to 3/8" matchsticks. Beat egg whites to a light froth and gently fold in seasoning. Line a baking sheet with non-stick foil or spray with cooking spray. Dip potatoes in egg white mixture, then place in an single layer on the baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 35-40 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and enjoy!


Katie said...

Mmmm...yummy!! I love oven fries! I could eat them every day. :)

Melissa @ For the Love of Health said...

They look fabulous!!

Debbie said...

Oh do they ever look good! I have to try and make them like you did. Never heard of using egg whites...interesting!

Joelen said...

These look wonderful and remind me of bistro fries at a local restaurant!

Colleen said...

This looks like a great idea for crispy, golden fries!

vincent said...


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,