I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Pear Sorbet

On a trip to Las Vegas, I enjoyed a wonderful trio of sorbets for dessert at a wonderful restaurant: concord grape, coconut, and pear. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the pear sorbet. I've been thinking about it for months, wanting to make some at home, and I finally got the chance last weekend. I should have made this sooner! It has such a wonderful bright, fresh, pear flavor! I'm not sure if it was because of the alcohol, the sugar, or living on the door of my freezer, but mine has stayed soft even days later! I chose to only strain a portion of the puree, I kinda of like having the texture of a pear in the sorbet.



Pear Sorbet
Yield: about 2.5 cups

3 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp pear brandy

Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Combine sugar/water, lemon juice, brandy, and pears in a food processor or blender and puree. Strain half of the puree through a sieve, pressing to extrude all the juices. Mix well with remaining unstrained puree. Refrigerate mixture until well chilled, at least 4 hours. Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I have died and gone to Heaven! Oh no...wait...I'm in Hell b/c I don't have any of this! :( :( Totally starring and making asap!

ashley said...

oh yum! i haven't ever had pear sorbet. i'm a sucker for sorbet though!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This sounds so refreshing and makes for a great palate cleanser after a heavy meal!

Mary Ellen said...

I just saw this pop up in my Google reader and had to check it out. Looks so good and pretty easy, too!

That Girl said...

That pear brandy was a fantastic investment!

Anonymous said...

I've recently become a big fan of cooked pears, I would love to try this :).

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try this with some of the multitudinous asian pears I'm harvesting right now. How many cups of chopped pears did 3 pears make? My asian pears are really small...2.5 cups, maybe?