I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Orange Sorbet

After my success with pear sorbet, I found some ripe oranges on sale at the grocery store and decided to continue my foray into the world of sorbets. I based this recipe on one from Cook's Illustrated, but omitted the zest, increase the alcohol, and went with simple syrup rather than straight sugar. Sorbets are wonderful because they are so light, with a fresh and bright fruit flavor... this is no exception! It's such a nice break from ice cream (my all time love). Now, I'm eyeing that pineapple on the counter... maybe pineapple sorbet will be next!



Orange Sorbet
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated

2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice (I peeled 6 seedless oranges, ground them in a blender, and pressed the juice through a seive because I don't have a juicer)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 tablespoons vodka or orange flavored liquor

Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan, heat over meduim low heat until sugar is dissolved. Combine sugar mixture with orange juice, lemon juice, and vodka. Chill until completely cooled, preferably 4 hours. Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.

4 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks great and similar to the Alton Brown recipe I use for sorbets!

Krystal R said...

Hmmm, maybe I'll use up some of the oranges from my tree for this! Looks great, I love orange sorbet!

Stephanie said...

This looks perfect! I have some oranges that need to be used up.

Anonymous said...

Your changes sound delicious, this is such a fresh dessert and I like how easily one could add their own favorite fruit juice, though freshly squeezed orange is a favorite of mine.