As luck would have it, I wanted to make this right as we ran out of curry powder. I was due to refill some other spices, so I turned to my trusty spice store, Penzeys, for a new order. I flipped to the curry page in the catalog and was instantly overwhelmed. There were so many different kinds, and I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I didn't realize "curry powder" was really a blend of several different spices. I thought curry powder was just - curry powder, like turmeric is just turmeric. Boy, was I wrong!
I grabbed my empty curry jar and scanned the ingredient list, then picked the one in the catalog that sounded the closest and crossed my fingers as I placed the order. I chose the sweet curry powder, and it turned out to be the perfect choice. It was just the right blend for us!
This is a fabulously quick, easy, one pot meal - great for a weeknight. This combination of spices is our favorite curry sauce, which I suspect we will be able to use in many other curry dishes in the future!
Curry Shrimp with Green Beans and Soba Noodles
Source: Slightly adapted from The Gracious Pantry
Yield: Serves 2-3
Preparation time: 5 min
Cook time: 15 min
Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound frozen shrimp (peeled and deveined, tail off)
- 1 can light coconut milk (14 oz)
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 3 green onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 ounces soba noodles
- Combine all ingredients except soba noodles in a large pot or pan, cover and bring to a boil.
- Once you have a nice rolling boil, remove the lid and continue to cook over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add soba noodles and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, until noodles are soft and shrimp are cooked through.