I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Monday, September 27, 2010

Garlic Mashed Cannellini Beans

We enjoy pureed black beans (our easy version of refried beans) whenever we have anything in the Mexican category, but I had never thought of mashing other types of beans. I was inspired by Elly to make mashed cannellini beans instead of mashed potatoes to go with the chicken croquettes. They were very easy to make and we loved them! I did make one change, though, as we like thyme better than rosemary, so I altered that one ingredient to suit us.

IMG_0158c

Garlic Mashed Cannellini Beans
Source: Slightly adapted from Elly Says Opa!
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tsp. fresh chopped thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried
  • 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
  • 2 tsp. lemon juice

Heat a skillet over medium heat and then add the oil until shimmering. Saute the garlic in the oil until fragrant and lightly browned, and then stir in the cannelini beans and thyme.

Add broth to the skillet and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes.

Stir in the lemon juice off the heat and mash the beans with a potato masher.

2 comments:

DailyChef said...

I've never thought about mashing up other types of beans either! Will have to try this. :)

elly said...

Glad you liked them! I love thyme so I'm sure it goes really well with the beans (and the lemon!)