This meal was absolutely delicious and paired together so well. The chicken parmesan was so easy to make, and the eggplant bake had such great flavor.
The ingredients of the bake seem a little sparse for the size of the pan, and I may switch to a 9x9 or similarly sized casserole dish next time, but it is still definitely workable as written.
Chicken Parmesan with Bulgur and Eggplant Bake
Source: Slightly adapted from Not Your Bubbe's Kitchen
- 4 thin sliced chicken breasts, about 4 ounces each
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup tomato and basil sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper the chicken. Dredge chicken in flour, then egg, then panko mix. Heat 1/2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet. Add chicken to pan and cook about 5-7 minutes. Add another 1/2 tbsp oil, then flip chicken pieces. Top with sauce, evenly divided among the chicken pieces, about 1/8 cup on each. Then top with the remaining 1 tbsp of Parmesan cheese, evenly divided among the chicken pieces, and 1/8 cup of mozzarella on each chicken piece. Cover skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 3 cups of peeled, diced eggplant
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 tbsp part skim ricotta cheese
- 1.5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup tomato and basil pasta sauce
Cook the bulgur according to package directions. Mix all the cheeses together. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Spoon 1/2 of the bulgur in the pan, making a thin layer. Sprinkle in 1/2 of the vegetables: eggplant, onions, tomato, and garlic slices. Drizzle 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce on top of veggies. Dot the top of the sauce with about 1/3 of the cheese mix. Repeat layers, ending with the remaining 2/3 of cheese mix.
Bake at 400 degrees F for about 40-45 minutes.