When the eggplant was finished roasting and I pulled the tray out of the oven - I immediately knew I'd picked the right recipe. Just as the author states - the cinnamon wafts up to your nose, and the cocoa is just barely there. They both add a wonderful dimension to the dish, which, with the creamy ricotta sauce, serves as a fantastic alternative to marinara based recipes for ricotta and eggplant.
Farfalle with Roasted Eggplant and Ricotta
Down-sized and slightly adapted from: Burp! Recipes
- 3/4 pound eggplant, cleaned and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cocoa powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil, for roasting
- 2 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 5 oz low fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley or 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 6 ounces farfalle pasta (whole wheat, or our favorite - Barilla Plus)
2. In a large bowl, mix ricotta, parsley, romano, and salt and pepper (to taste). Set aside.
3. Cook pasta until al dente. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the pasta water when draining the pasta. Add the pasta to the ricotta mixture, adding enough pasta water to loosen the sauce. Add the roasted eggplant and mix well. Serve immediately.