I've moved! Follow me over to The Balanced Baker.



Saturday, October 4, 2008

Platinum Chef 9: Apple Pumpkin Chili

I'm BACK! I've been quite busy in the last month preparing for a huge exam. It is OVER now, so I can finally get back in the kitchen and start sharing recipes again. YAY! I also happen to think this is the perfect way to come back... with the Platinum Chef Challenge! I love this event, as it seems to be the only way to get creative juices flowing in the kitchen.

This time, Lisa of Lime in the Coconut chose GREAT ingredients for fall! This round we had to create something with sage, bacon, apples, shallots, and mushrooms. All I have been able to think about since the arrival of fall is CHILI, and I decided that all these ingredients definitely belonged in a chili together. We already have a favorite red chili, so I decided this should go the white chili route. We're a no beef household, so I use either ground turkey or chicken and, for this challenge, turkey bacon (which really is nothing to write home about. I would have much prefered real bacon or some pancetta or something, but alas, those are off the list, too). The flavors really came together nicely in this, and the best part is that it's just an easy throw-together recipe for the crockpot. Love it!

Apple Pumpkin Chili

  • 1 pound ground turkey or chicken, browned in a skillet
  • 2 cans (15 oz each) white beans, I went for one can northern and one can navy
  • 1.5 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, cleaned, and sliced
  • 4 slices bacon, browned and crumbled or chopped
  • one medium shallot, diced
  • 1 granny smith apple, diced
  • 1/2 of a 14oz can pumpkin puree (about 1 cup)
  • 2.5 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon dried sage
  • 2 teaspoons coriander
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • (optional) equal parts arrowroot or cornstarch and chicken broth, for thickening
  • grated gouda cheese, for topping

Combine all except thickener and cheese in a crockpot. Stir to mix ingredients. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6. Add thickener if desired and heat on high for a few minutes to thicken sauce. Serve, topping with grated gouda.

3 comments:

That Girl said...

Grrr I totally forgot to enter this month. I need to get back on the blog event bandwagon. And I definitely want to try this chili.

Anonymous said...

That looks SOOOOO amazing! I can NOT believe how ridiculously creative you are! YUM!

Calypso said...

I made this for lunch yesterday with a couple changes and it was delcious! Thank you!